Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Quick Walk in the "Woods"

The office where I work is basically in an industrial setting. Lots of warehouse space and certain distributors but a few strip sections that contain small offices all in a row. A lot of concrete, asphalt, and trucks. Which is why I am constantly surprised by the wildlife you can find in and around it. Like those Turkey I found a few months back.

So, across from my office is a little patch of 'woods'. Mainly what is left from what used to be here, a pine scrubland environment with a few oaks scattered around. Measuring from a map view it is about 200 feet wide by 700 feet long. Just a little leftover in the middle of 'progress'. I have been checking this area for birds some and vowed to make a small trail from one side to the other. Today is the day.

The storm system that swung through over the weekend is causing a birder's paradise over on the west side of the state. Not so much here but it is worth a try. I headed to the far side of the woods and ventured toward them with some clippers and my camera. Just before the trail entrance I found a singing Brown Thrasher.

Brown Thrasher

I was after warblers but the first bird I encountered rose out of the palmettos on quiet wings and drifted my way. A Ruby-throated Hummingbird!

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

She grabbed a few bugs in the pines and then rested on a branch under some cover. I wasn't able to get a great shot but I always love finding them in unexpected places.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Back to warbler hunting. Winds were still pretty brisk today so there were not a lot of birds out. Mainly, all I was hearing were the calls of several Pine Warblers. They were in the pines, of course, but I could not talk them down.

Pine Warbler

I was about to head back to the office when I noticed a little clearing farther ahead. I had a Common Yellowthroat pop out next to me but of more interest was a tiny speck out in the clearing itself. A male American Redstart, my first of the year!

American Redstart

I did a bit of pishing (sounds birders often make to mimic other birds or bird alarms) and the Redstart flew toward me. Not the best shot but at least my flash worked for once.

American Redstart

Time to head back and watch progress bars on the computer but I will try to make this jaunt a few more times this week to see what else I can find.

No comments: