Wednesday, April 25, 2012

More Birds in the "Woods".

Another morning trip to find some birds. I headed over a little earlier in the day hoping the morning feeders would be more numerous. They were. The first bird I found was a Prairie Warbler in the shadows of an Ear Tree (Enterolobium contortisiliquum).

Prairie Warbler

Soon, a family of Northern Cardinals arrived with the adults grabbing insects and seeds for the young ones. I followed the tree line to my trail entrance and had a Veery pop out and then fly off. A nice migrant in this area.

Moments later I saw the Cardinals drop into the grasses and begin gathering seeds. But there was another bird down there, as well. A smaller bird. What I saw through my binoculars startled me. A Blue Grosbeak! Definitely wasn't expecting that. Then another popped up nearby.

Blue Grosbeak

I tried to get a closer view but they flew off toward the telephone wires that cross the grassy field toward a subdivision. Fortunately, one of the birds decided to land and pose in the morning light.

Blue Grosbeak

They then flew off toward the woods and off into the distance. Glad I got one good shot. Not too much else in the woods. A few Pine Warblers, a Gray Catbird, and a Swainson's Thrush. Migration is definitely on. Maybe we can catch some remaining birds next Sunday at the banding site.

No comments: