Monday, April 02, 2012

Black-necked Stilt

An unexpected day off lead to an even greater unexpected discovery. I dropped the kids off at school and decided to do a quick check of the lakes. Of course...

I passed one of the retention ponds where I find some duck flocks from time to time and a flash of black and white caught my eye. Could that have really been..? Nah. But I had better check again, anyway. l swung back, pulled into the parking lot and, yep, Black-necked Stilts!

Black-necked Stilt

These birds are readily seen on the coastal regions with some hanging out at inland wetlands but seldom in urban locations. A good way to brighten the morning.

Around at Lake Weldona, the clutch of Muscovy Ducklings were resting on shore.

Muscovy Duck

Lake Emerald continues dry up but the feeding stopped for the time being and one of the Wood Storks waits up in a nearby tree.

Wood Stork

Time for breakfast and will have to make another check of the owls and eagles in a bit.

No comments: