Thursday, April 26, 2012

Looking for More Migrants

By now, you can tell I have been spending a lot of time around Lake Lancaster. Still there every morning on the way to work and most evenings on the way home. Will be until the migrants clear out. Need to keep track on things like the fact that I once had the one Solitary Sandpiper but now there are at least 3. This guy wasn't here yesterday.

Solitary Sandpiper

The different Yellowlegs are still in the same location, striding back and forth.

Yellowlegs

Across the lake is the Great-blue Heron rookery. I keep trying to see any young birds in there but I can't tell.

Great-blue Heron

Scanning down back to the closer shore I find the Mallard family relaxing in the shallow water. Ducklings are getting more grown up.

Mallard

Moving to the left revealed a Killdeer walking the shoreline in the golden morning sunshine.

Killdeer

Another leftward shift and I find another Yellowlegs in the shadows trying to be invisible.

Yellowlegs

Suddenly, a rapid movement to the right sent me spinning around and taking aim. A Muscovy Duck wings its way underneath the heron rookery.

Muscovy Duck

Panning back to the left and I find a pair of Wood Duck zooming along in the opposite direction.

Wood Duck

On the way out of the neighborhood I found one more Solitary Sandpiper. This one displayed its distinctive barred tail as it fed around the now exposed fish beds.

Solitary Sandpiper

Back home in the afternoon I stepped out back to see if anything was around. Not too much but I did find a female Black-throated Blue Warbler sneaking around in the branches.

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Nice. Haven't had one of them in the yard in a long time. I get a day off and should take a ton more photos. I am sure my first stop will be Lake Lancaster, again.

No comments: