Sunday, April 01, 2012

Nice Surprise for April Fool's Day

When I got home from our day of banding I noticed that the adult Carolina Wrens were going crazy all over the yard. Singing. Flying here and there. Singing more. Odd.

Then I heard another call a little different. I looked out the side window and noticed more movement in the shrubs. I grabbed the camera and eased out the backdoor. I was greeted by a lovely sight.

One, two, then three newly fledged wrens were trying to home in on the parents' calls. Two of them stayed in the shadows so there weren't great shots there but the last one jumped over to the tree I keep the squirrel feeder and took in its surroundings.

Carolina Wren

It soon joined its siblings and they scurried off to the back of the yard. The wren I had banded just a year and a half ago as a young one himself now has his own family. Nice!

BTW, speaking of the banding site, I have mentioned my banding efforts in the past so here is a reminder that if you want to follow my other exploits and see some different species in the hand and explore some Florida nature you can always check our weekly updated blog for Lake Lotus by clicking here.

No comments: