Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Boat-tailed Grackle

Taking a break from the shore birds and owls, I thought I would share these shots of another species I often take for granted. Boat-tailed Grackles are ubiquitous throughout much of Florida. So much so that I just hear them as background noise as I wander around. Every now and then, though, they catch my attention. Like this bird at Lake Lotus while we were banding last Sunday.

Boat-tailed Grackle

While I was checking the nets I decided to scan the lake for anything of interest. A pair of grackles were searching for food near the shore and the Sun was rising just after dawn so the light was nice enough to catch all of the different colors which are harder to see later in the day.

Boat-tailed Grackle

At one point I got a stare, like that of those Velociraptors from Jurassic Park. Were others sneaking up from behind...?

Boat-tailed Grackle

They then took turns bathing along the shore.

Boat-tailed Grackle

Once clean, one of them gives out a loud call before flying off to a new breakfast location.

Boat-tailed Grackle

Boat-tailed Grackles are really fun to watch. I have to remind myself not to overlook them so often.

No comments: