Saturday, April 14, 2012

Latest Tour of Lake Lancaster

As we head deeper into April I keep my eyes open for migrating shore birds. With the water levels dropping due to lack of rain, there is plenty of shoreline for the birds to forage on and we usually get something interesting before the end of the month. I usually have found most birds around Lake Davis but lately it seems the humans are actively walking down next to the water in increasing numbers, some even using cast nets (!), so birding has been pretty dismal there. At least I know where the other lakes are so I turn my attentions toward Lake Lancaster which has shoreline that is not as easily accessed. Sure enough, the shore birds are beginning to arrive. The first of which were some Yellowlegs.

Yellowlegs

It is always have both Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs feeding together since it is quite easy to tell them apart by size instead of trying to figure it out through other field marks.

Yellowlegs

Nearby, a Palm Warbler hops by and shows off its glowing breeding colors. Won't be long before they are all gone.

Palm Warbler

On the far side of the lake the water is much lower and all the homeowners have to look at is a mud flat with a few ebbing pools. Terrible to stare at but good for shorebirds! Like my next discovery, a Solitary Sandpiper who seems to be keeping an eye to the sky.

Solitary Sandpiper

I usually find at least one of these guys at Lake Davis every year and they are very skittish so photos are a bit tricky. Being midday with harsh lighting doesn't help, either.

Solitary Sandpiper

This bird did tolerate me getting a little closer but not too much so.

Solitary Sandpiper

I love to watch them bob along as they feed. They do not stick around long so I have to enjoy while I can.

Solitary Sandpiper

Just as I was preparing to leave, a family of Great-crested Flycatchers flew into the oaks around the lake's edge. I wish I could hover out above the mud for a better angle but this one will do nicely.

Great-crested Flycatcher

So, I have my territory set up for later bird checks. Time will tell if we manage to get some more species this year.

No comments: