Monday, April 09, 2012

I Found a New Limpkin Family

I was content to have gotten a couple good shots of a Limpkin as I headed out of work today. Who knew I was going to find a whole bunch more near home?

Limpkin

Made the long swing around the back side of Lake Lancaster which has dried to moist mud flats. I had seen a Limpkin here in the past so I was looking for that and any shorebirds which may be filtering in now. I did notice a pair of adult Limpkins out there but near the reeds closer to shore was a chick!

Limpkin

On closer inspection there were actually three!!

Limpkin

Before long, one of the chicks began calling to the adults.

Limpkin

Right on cue, one of the parents grabbed a small snail and headed toward the family home.

Limpkin

Once there, it dropped the snail but the young one didn't know what to do.

Limpkin

So, Mom helped prize the food from the shell and fed it to the waiting chick.

Limpkin

Nice to see a family here. Limpkins actually seem to be spreading to many of the lakes now. No doubt thanks to the invasive Apple Snails which are also increasing in number.

No comments: