Monday, April 15, 2013

Mead Garden Owls and Black-and-White Warblers

I have been hearing about the owlets at Mead Garden for a while but who needed to go there when I have them in my backyard? But, I do tend to stop by after our banding sessions and I had hoped for some warblers to be around. There were not many but we found the owls out near the old entrance to the garden. The youngest was very curious as I approached.

Barred Owl

The slightly older bird was more intent on following what ever was making any noise in the bushes.

Barred Owl

I met up with a few birders I had not seen in a while which was nice. They had to move on, though, and after we said our goodbyes I headed back toward the gardens. Before I could make it, I began hearing some soft singing in the hedges. I approached cautiously and found an opening in the leaves. A Black-and-White Warbler was sitting in the shade just making little calls.

Black-and-White Warbler

I heard some other warblers calling but I could never get a good look as the trees have all regained their leaves by now. Once I reached the van I heard a very loud bird call. I looked around and found another Black-and-White Warbler not far above me.

Black-and-White Warbler

Still amazes me how pretty those simple shades can be. Other warblers may be getting their rainbows of color but when you see a fresh Black-and-White Warbler...man.

Black-and-White Warbler

So, no other warblers. Maybe the flood arrives next weekend. I can wait.

No comments: