Saturday, April 13, 2013

Black-throated Blue Warblers Return

A quick trip to the woods across from the office were in order again. There was not a lot of stuff flying but you never know. I waded into the underbrush and stopped from time to time to listen. Only Cardinals were calling. Suddenly, a dragonfly came buzzing through the palmettos, circled me several times before finally landing on a branch thinking itself out of view. I was able to sneak up a bit and get a shot. My friend Paul IDs it as a Prince Baskettail.

Prince Baskettail

There was a little bit was activity as I was about to make my way out. Titmice were calling. A Downy Woodpecker zipped from tree to tree. A Pairie Warbler refused to be photographed. Then I noticed a bird behind a set of branches. Feeding with a Northern Parula, a male Black-throated Blue Warbler appeared. Then two! They are on their way home.

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Quality, not quantity. Perhaps we can see more during the next banding session.

No comments: