Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Work Birds

Winds that were gusting over 20 mph yesterday dropped off overnight. Should be a little better for birds than my walk yesterday. Just outside the office front door was a singing Northern Mockingbird sitting on the peak of the roof. I will get back to this bird in a few minutes.

Northern Mockingbird

I headed across the street and through the parking lot and found a White-winged Dove up on the wires. Their numbers are increasing all over the area. I have been finding flocks of them closer to home.

White-winged Dove

As I mentioned, the winds were down. Less wind means more bugs. More bugs means...yep...more birds. At least the bug catching kind. One of those was in the field and grabbing insects and perching on wires. A Great-Crested Flycatcher was flying back and forth. It took me a few minutes but eventually this bird let me approach quite closely. So close that I managed one of my favorite Great-Crested Flycatcher shots ever. Despite the man made objects in the picture.

Great-Crested Flycatcher

It gave me the once-over more than once but it was more concerned with locating its next snack. Body language helps, too. Birds dig me.

Great-Crested Flycatcher

Behind me, a Northern Cardinal perches in between insect searching for its begging brood.

Northern Cardinal

Once I got into the woods, things got a bit more quiet. There was a very loud White-eyed Vireo flying around but it would never give me a clear view. They typically stay in the center of the foliage so you hear them a lot more than actually seeing them. There were also a few Blue-gray Gnatcatchers and a Brown Thrasher calling and one very bright Pine Warbler that was at the tops of the pine trees (of course).

Back to work and more on the Mockingbird I started things with. Let's try this. Here is a map of the office and locations where the birds from this post were seen. The White dot (bottom-left) is where I took the White-winged Dove shot. The Yellow dot was the Great-crested Flycatcher. The Red dot was the Cardinal. The Green line is the trail I have made through the woods. The Orange dot is my desk. The Blue dot is where the Mockingbird sings everyday.

Locator Map

So, this Mockingbird showed up over a month ago. Looking over my computer I can see a small oak tree. The center of the tree has a branch sticking straight up without leaves. The bird has been singing from various spots around the building but mostly right in front of me. Mockingbirds are our state bird. I see them everyday. I decided to try for a shot since it had been taunting so long. I stepped outside and took some photos. I am happy I did.

Northern Mockingbird

I have another version with the bird in full-throat but I will make that into a wall hanging at some point. My next task is to try and capture its behavior of late. It sings and sings and then jumps into the air, flapping, and then settles back onto the branch. It did so twice while I took my series of shots but I only got this one.

Northern Mockingbird

Really pleased with the shots today. Extra sharp and extra close. I will head back out first thing in the morning!

No comments: