Friday, May 25, 2012

Burrowing Owls

There are a couple of locations I keep tucked inside my brain in case I get some unexpected time off. One of those days just arrived as we completely got all available work finished and no more was due in today. Where will it be to, then? I haven't seen Burrowing Owls in a while. It would be a long drive to a new place but I hear they are easy to locate.

I drove down the dirt road I was directed to and searched the fence line for any owls. It seemed like I might not find them at all but I kept driving and searching. Finally, I spotted an owl on a fence post. I slowed and tried for a shot but it flew off. When I got home and saw that shot I noticed that it had a lizard in tow.

Burrowing Owl

It wasn't my presence that scared off the owl as I suspected but it was bringing lunch to its young!

Burrowing Owl

Once the meal was delivered, the adult flew back to its perch and the owlet took it back into the burrow. I began taking a lot of shots of the adult.

Burrowing Owl

A little while later, the owlet reappeared and gave me some bright-eyed stares.

Burrowing Owl

Then I took turns getting shots of the adults. They were sitting a few fence posts apart. First the one on the left...

Burrowing Owl

...then, to the right...

Burrowing Owl

The Sun came and went from behind the clouds making every shot a little different but after a while they all become very similar. I could sit here for hours taking the same shots. Wait, no I can't. I have kids to pick up from school! I will have to head out after one more stunning stare.

Burrowing Owl

I definitely plan to return here when I have more time. Other birds to find in the area, as well.

2 comments:

penny said...

Beautiful captures, Drew. I have yet to spot any Burrowing owls.

wherestherain.wordpress.com said...

Fantastic shots! You are amazing.