Saturday, May 19, 2012

Loggerhead Shrike Babies!

As I was trying to get some shots of the Purple Martins (see yesterday's post) I noticed a bunch of birds fending off crows closer to the lake. Most were Northern Mockingbirds but there was a smaller bird there. I had to explore. Once over on the other side of the road, the Mockingbirds chased off the crows leaving the other birds in the area. They were Loggerhead Shrikes. An adult rested atop a small oak.

Loggerhead Shrike

Then I noticed the source of another sound I was hearing. Loggerhead Shrike babies!

Loggerhead Shrike

Just may be my favorite shot of a Loggerhead Shrike...ever.

Loggerhead Shrike

How about a rear view to check out the maturing plumage? I love those tan edges.

Loggerhead Shrike

Soon they gathered back as a group and headed deeper into the foliage. One gave me a last look before hiding in the shade.

Loggerhead Shrike

Maybe they will still be here when I get back in the near future.

No comments: