Saturday, May 05, 2012

Backyard Babies

Even though I have focused on the Barred Owl family in the yard lately there are other birds busy raising families. I took a few minutes to watch them today and ended up with a few nice photos. The birds ran me from backyard to front a couple times. Just happens when the youngsters are chasing their folks around for food.

Our Northern Cardinal chicks hatched a awhile ago and they have been very active around the feeders with out their parents lately. There are actually 2 females in the backyard.

Northern Cardinal

Their brother is gaining his red feather very quickly and stays in the shade a bit more then the girls.

Northern Cardinal

I was pleasantly surprised to have a whole family of Tufted Titmice swarm in from the back of the property and were looking for for at the feeders. Took me a minute to realize that most of these birds were chicks newly fledged. It has been a couple years since I have seen baby Titmice in the yard.

Tufted Titmouse

How do I know they are young birds? First off, young Titmice have a smaller bill profile which ends up looking kind of like they have had them pushed into their faces. Secondly, young birds retain their yellowish gape (the area around their mouth) that is more fleshy still. The better to open wide for a meal.

Tufted Titmouse

They sound very similar to their parents so it takes a close look to verify they are juveniles. Completely fun to watch bounce through the branches along with the grown-ups.

Tufted Titmouse

Our last bird is not a baby. Instead it is an adult male. Downy Woodpecker males have a red cap and I have been hearing them more and more this week. They must be hiding youngsters close by.

Downy Woodpecker

I know there are a few Blue Jay babies around but I haven't got a shot of them. The local Red-winged Blackbirds should be stopping by anytime, too.

No comments: