Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day Ruby

We had the pleasure to spend some time for Memorial Day with some family out the Oviedo way. Problem was, it was going to rain almost all day long. What's a birdwatcher to do? Stare out at the rain and hope something shows up, of course.

Mainly, it was a Cardinal and Titmouse kind of day. Along the way, some Mourning Doves and woodpeckers would join in. Then. my brother-in-law mentioned that there was a hummingbird feeder on the other side of the back porch. Really? Time to shift gears. It didn't take long for a Ruby-throated Hummingbird to make an appearance through the rain drops.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

I first saw her coming to the feeder cautiously. I soon managed to prop the screen door open for some clear shots. Love the rain drops on her bill.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

I was told there were a couple of females that came to the feeder so I was pleasantly surprised by the sighting of a male. He would zip through faster than the female but once headed to a tree to do a little deeper bathing on the leaves.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Most of my shots of the male were with its head buried in the feeder ports. Finally, I got a pretty good flight shot. Sweet. Even a bit of ruby showing in the dim light.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Once the rain began to lighten up, a few more birds came out to play. A family of Carolina Wrens skipped along the fence line. The adult on the left has an awful lot of white spots, more than I have seen before. On the right is a more drab juvenile.

Carolina Wren

There were several Common Ground Doves coming and going during the day. I typically find them in locations more to the East heading toward the coast. A nice find here in the suburbs. As one fed near a feeder I decided to slip out back and hoped for a closer look. To my surprise, this bird did not seem to mind me if I walked slowly. Eventually, I began shooting.

Common Ground Dove

Every Ground Dove I have ever been around before takes flight at the slightest approach. This one didn't seem to care and I got my best shot ever of one of these birds.

Common Ground Dove

Not bad for a soggy Monday. Just wish Lois could have been there with us today. Get well, Lois. We miss your laugh!

No comments: