Sunday, May 20, 2012

Walking Greenwood

Headed back to Greenwood Wetlands to see if I could find any signs of the Green Heron chicks. No such luck. They finally left the tree and have moved on. So, time for a walk of the full perimeter for the first time in years. Just outside of the car I found a very curious Red-bellied Woodpecker. A little out of focus in the shade but it does show the red belly more than most shots you can get.

Red-bellied Woodpecker

One of the main reasons I was down here was that I had a report from Gail that she had seen our baby Barred Owl down in the wetlands. Wanted to get a shot of it in its new digs. Unfortunately, I could not locate it. So, other birding it is. easily distracted when I hear Jays going crazy. Main reason was a Blue Jay chick begging for food. I barely managed a shot as they all jumped from place to place.

Blue Jay

Off to my right, a family of Mallards moved about while a Double-crested Cormorant plowed through the waters in search of food.

Double-crested Cormorant

I made it over to the Green Heron spot and, like I said, there were no chicks up in the tree any longer. I did see an adult fly by but that was it. Until I happened to look up and saw movement in the trees. Definitely a warbler but I would have to get in a better spot for a chance to see what it was. Soon, I could tell it was a Blackpoll Warbler but only managed a few ID shots. Seems a bit late for warblers.

Blackpoll Warbler

Under the shade of the Cypress trees, a pair of Wood Ducks rests and waits for me to move along.

Wood Duck

Only heard a couple of Red-winged Blackbirds out near the lake but this one made it over our way.

Red-winged Blackbird

Time to head back. I ended my visit with the same birds as when I arrived. A young Red-bellied Woodpecker was chasing its parent who spent a few minutes checking me out and digging deep for insects in the tree bark. Always fun to watch.

Red-bellied Woodpecker

I will check back for the owls later but it is still pretty bridy without finding them.

No comments: