Sunday, May 13, 2012

Green Heron Babies

I had a schedule in place to run out to Wekiwa Springs State Park but last night I got message from fellow birder Gail (Hi, Gail!) saying that there were some baby Green Herons just down the street from me at the Greenwood Wetlands. Being only two blocks from the house, how could I not stop for a quick check before the long journey to Wekiva?

I arrived just around 7 AM. The Sun was only up for about 25 minutes so I wasn't sure how good the light would be. Especially since the birds were in an oak tree along the branches. I found the birds as advertised and tried to maneuver around for any shots free of leaves. I got a few OK shots.

Green Heron

There were 3 chicks there but this one was more in the open. I think the low natural light actually made things turn out pretty well.

Green Heron

Then I headed out to Wekiva and those shots will follow in the next post. On the way home, I decided to try some more shots in the early afternoon. Still had some clouds around and the light was off and on but I do like this shot of one of the chicks.

Green Heron

Finally, a head-on view. Reminds me more of a monkey face! The trio walked up and down the branches and huddled next to one another and I let them relax and headed home so I could do a bit of my own relaxing. Seven miles of hiking and over an hour on the road just about wore me out.

Green Heron

These are the first young Green Herons I have seen in person. They are very secretive even as adults. Nice to have a network of friends to point me in the right direction!

No comments: