Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Quick Run to an Old Place

Once banding ended a little early yesterday I decided to swing by Mead Garden and see what was happening there. Met up with a fellow birder and we began looking around for anything of interest. Out of no where, he tells me about some Screech Owls that were breeding in the park and wondered if I wanted to go look for them. Um. Yeah! He had seen a flegling earlier but all we could find on this check was an adult Red Morph.

Eastern Screech Owl

There was not a lot going on elsewhere so we wandered over to the Red-shouldered Hawk nest. Along the way we found one of the adult perched in a tree near the very dry pond in the middle of the garden.

Red-shouldered Hawk

We continued to the nest site. Don't know about you, but I can't resist taking photos of Great-blue Herons no matter how many times I have.

Great-blue Heron

As we approached the nest tree we noticed a couple birds on the branch. We expected the young to still be in the nest but they are fledged and getting ready to fly! While we watched an adult flew in with a snack. The chicks decided they should return to nest and walked back down the branch.

Red-shouldered Hawk

All gathered around for a bite or two.

Red-shouldered Hawk

I heard a call coming from somewhere near the river bed (water is all but gone for now) and headed over to find the bird. I did not recognize the song. What I found surprised me but you will have to return tomorrow to find out what it was. It deserves its own post. SO! After that I headed back to the van and was greeted by a Great-Crested Flycatcher. It was zipping back and forth rather quickly but it did pose for a few seconds.

Great-Crested Flycatcher

At one point it jumped on something on the ground and let me try to fight the bad light for a shot. I just wanted to share it on the ground since it doesn't happen for long.

Great-Crested Flycatcher

Most migrants are gone. All locals today. Except for the special bird I will write about next!

No comments: