Friday, May 10, 2013

Wasting Time at Mead Gaden

That tile is pretty much true. I had a dedication ceremony to get to at Lake Lotus but it did not start until 11 AM. I drop the oldest off at 7-ish so that leaves me some time to 'waste'. I had never parked on the far side of Mead before so I wondered if the back gate stayed open. The front gate doesn't open until later in the day. The gate was open and I got to spend an hour or so walking virtually alone to find some birds.

It actually was pretty quiet but I heard some American Redstarts down towards the amphitheater and headed that way. Redstarts were there. So was a larger bird at the back of the trees. A Yellow-billed Cuckoo!

Yellow-billed Cuckoo

I stayed in place and hoped that the bird would come out in the open a bit more. It finally moved a bit down the river but still wasn't as close as I would have liked. I was busy grabbing bugs so I don't blame it.

Yellow-billed Cuckoo

Then I noticed a second shape below the first bird. It was a second Cuckoo.

Yellow-billed Cuckoo

It, too, was having a successful catch rate.

Yellow-billed Cuckoo

They never did come into view any better but it is great to see this elusive species. Especially a pair. I would see another Cuckoo out behind the butterfly garden but it could have been one of these birds.

Yellow-billed Cuckoo

Another bird caught my attention after the Cuckoos. A single male Blackpoll Warbler was speeding its way from branch to branch in the shade.

Blackpoll Warbler

Down in the creek, a Wood Duck hen and her ducklings snapped up insects from the water's edge.

Wood Duck

Walking through the Cypress stand a bit farther down I spotted a couple of American Redstarts that I thought I might be able to get a shot of. However, I was quickly distracted by something even smaller backlit in the shade. A Ruby-throated Hummingbird was grabbing tiny bugs and things before settling down on a branch.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

I really wanted it to go into the light more but I had to be happy with a tiny bird scratching away.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

One more shot before heading to the boardwalk.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Just before reaching the butterfly garden, Northern Mockingbirds appeared and were inspecting the Elderberries for the best fruit.

Northern Mockingbird

These birds love the black berries this time of year and the whole family chases one another from plant to plant, vying for the best spot to eat.

Northern Mockingbird

Only got shots of the adults today but the juveniles are around, too. That one looks very, very tasty...

Northern Mockingbird

I knew I wouldn't get a great shot of the Carolina Wren singing deep in the shaded azaleas but it is hard to resist a try.

Carolina Wren

Time to head out and get to the dedication ceremony. I was pleasantly surprised to find one of the adult Barred Owls at eye-level preening over the creek.

Barred Owl

I snapped a few shots and then began hearing the juveniles calling nearby. One had to be very close. In fact, I nearly walked into it as it hid in the leaves which made it fly to another tree. On the ground, though, was the other young bird watching a pair of Northern Cardinals flying back in forth. These birds are so used to people walking around that it takes a a lot to get them interested in anything other than their task and just to have one turn to look at you is nice.

Barred Owl

Not a bad little jaunt. Of to Lake Lotus where I hope to get a little more birding in before the speeches begin.

No comments: