Thursday, May 16, 2013

LaCosta Wetlands

I ran out to LaCosta Wetlands for a quick check this morning. I am usually greeted by a bunch of Northern Mockingbirds in the parking area but there were none when I arrived. Instead, I heard a quick call from the fenced field and a pair of Brown Thrashers emerged from the grass and perched on the fallen tree nearby.

Brown Thrasher

These two were very actively moving about and I would not doubt that there are babies being fed or about to hatch.

Brown Thrasher

Down around the ponds Red-winged Blackbirds are calling on territory on all sides. By the first bridge a male leans back for a full-on call.

Red-winged Blackbird

I love watching them pose and sing this time of year. This angle gives the bird a more cloaked appearance. Dig those bright red shoulders.

Red-winged Blackbird

Around the corner, a female Red-winged Blackbird searches the grasses for food before heading back to the reeds.

Red-winged Blackbird

I was looking for Green Herons out here earlier but I noticed a lager shape skulking in the cypress tree. A juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron watched me warily. The second young one I have found in the past month.

Black-crowned Night Heron

Back to the grind. Today that includes jury duty. Oh, boy.

No comments: