Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Another Cardinal Nest

Such a nice day outside I just had to take a walk. Still a lot of wind and not very birdy but I suddenly heard a chipping Northern Cardinal. Since my Cardinal experience the other day I knew this must mean that there was a nest somewhere nearby. Momma was bobbing in and out of the branches so it was hard to get a shot.

Northern Cardinal

I didn't approach any closer but I scanned the branches and, sure enough, I spotted a nest. It was kind of sideways and there were a couple of eggs inside. I hope they are not being abandoned. I will check bak in a few days.

Northern Cardinal

A Red-shouldered Hawk was calling from time to time and as I walked through my trail I saw a shadow sail into the trees and land. I made my way into the open and spotted the hawk searching for a meal.

Red-shouldered Hawk

I couldn't find any other birds besides the Hawk and Cardinals until I was about to leave the woods. Suddenly, a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher flew down and landed a mere 3 feet in front of me at eye-level. My zoom can only focus at 5 feet and beyond. I hate when that happens. I had to wait for the bird to get farther away before I could attempt a shot.

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Have all the migrants gone? Didn't see any today. I will have Friday to look around some but the season is about at an end. it seems.

No comments: