Saturday, May 04, 2013

Orlando Warblers

What better way to end a full week of rain by having to head to work on a Saturday. Yay. Clouds were still low and misting but I decided to drive around Lake Lancaster just because. As I slowed to a stop half way around I noticed a bird flying in from across the lake which then landed behind the retaining wall. I stepped out to confirm what I thought it was and was able to spy and juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron that also spied me and took off before I could even think about going back for the camera. It flew off to the far side of the lake.

I walked along the shore for a bit and found myself suddenly surrounded by warblers. Lots of warblers. I ID'd several species before a male Cape May made me curse myself for not having my camera every second. I scurried back and started the walk again. Most of the birds were Blackpoll Warblers.

Blackpoll Warbler

Dozens of Blackpolls flitted through the branches but, man, how difficult it is to take photos of hungry warblers in tight quarters.

Blackpoll Warbler

Most of the Blackpolls were male but there were a few females in the mix.

Blackpoll Warbler

I was able to relocate the Cay May Warbler but it stayed in the shadows. You can still make out that beautiful color, though.

Cape May Warbler

A few Black-throated Warblers, Magnolia Warbler, and American Redstarts were coming into view as the birds covered several trees just above the lake.

American Redstart

Northern Parulas are easy to find once they return here in March but they are still fun to watch and listen to.

Northern Parula

A few Common Yellowthroats chased one another through the Cypress trees and rounded out the species count.

Common Yellowthroat

Oh, yeah. I have to go to work. Though I could stand here all day.

No comments: