Monday, June 18, 2012

Roseate Spoonbill At Dusk

After a long dry spell I am not one to complain about working overtime. It just means less daylight to scan for birds on the way home. The past few days I haven't been getting near the lakes until right at nightfall. I had a little light left to drive down the road by the office and was met by a pleasant surprise.

There in the waning light was a Roseate Spoonbill in the creek that feeds the small pond on the other side of the road.

Roseate Spoonbill

It was busy sweeping the water for anything to snack on. I thought I saw a Spoonbill out of the corner of my eye on the way home the other night but that was a few miles down the road. This is a first sighting of one for me at this spot.

Roseate Spoonbill

I love the backlit bill on this shot. Makes our birds look a bit like a fire breather.

Roseate Spoonbill

This juvenile bird (told by the feathers still covering the head) continued to feed as I snapped away and then drove off. Seems Spoonbills are all over the place this year.

No comments: