Thursday, June 14, 2012

Greenwood Wetlands. Toad, Anyone?

I was attempting to relocate the Night Herons from the other day but they are hidden from me every visit since. Guess I will just have to see what else there is to see. There were some White Ibis feeding around the area but I was figured I have gotten enough of them already. Fortunately, there was a juvenile Wood Stork resting in the shadows.

White Ibis

Over on the airport side of the wetlands an Osprey was sitting atop a cypress tree and made a pass at a fish before changing its mind and flying in my direction. There is an active nest right across the highway.

Osprey

Then, an entire flock of White Ibis flew in and landed a few feet in front of me.
Oh, alright.

White Ibis

I continued my search but today I would only find just about every other member of the heron family but not the elusive Night Herons. The bridge on the cemetery side was currently the hunting ground for a Great Blue Heron.

Great Blue Heron

On the way back to the van I was watching a Great Egret. It seemed to be tracking something near the water. Maybe I could get a shot of it with a fish.

Great Egret

However, it surprised me. It wasn't a fish it was after but a dragonfly. Just plucked it right off the weeds.

Great Egret

The Wood Stork was moving along the edge of the water but paused in the dappled shadows to allow me some shots. So much duck weed floating around these days.

White Ibis

I was lining myself up for a portrait shot of the stork when I noticed a White Ibis off to me left. I could tell it had something large in its bill and it was heading toward the water. Ibis typically eat small prey but this was a lot bigger. When I got close enough, I could tell it was a toad.

White Ibis

When birds get some larger food items they often take it to the water and get them wet. Probably easier to swallow. After a few dips in the lake the toad was not putting up a struggle. Just not facing in the right direction.

White Ibis

Another dunking and reposition and it looks like the inevitable is near.

White Ibis

Gulp! One full Ibis.

White Ibis

I approached the bridge back to the parking lot and noticed a Tricolored Heron underneath staring intently at the flowing water.

Tricolored Heron

It was still there waiting for something to float by but I never saw it attempt a stab while I was there. Didn't even acknowledge my presence.

Tricolored Heron

I didn't want a White Ibis day but they had other plans. That's the way it goes sometimes.

No comments: