Thursday, June 28, 2012

Baby Doves

One of my added stops on my lake rounds is a little church near the retention pond where I have had good luck with birds this year. On one stop early in the year I noticed a pretty good sized flock of White-winged Doves. I usually have a couple in my year during breeding season but this flock was interesting. So, I keep a look out for them when I can.

I drove into the parking lot today and noticed a lot of doves flying over to the fence along the smaller retention pond. I had limited time so I just took a bunch of shots of the birds before moving on. Here, an adult White-winged basks in the sunlight.

White-winged Dove

As I was going through the shots I noticed something I didn't out in the field. There was a baby in the mix!

White-winged Dove

And another, and another...I was too busy squinting against the sunlight to really take it in before. This flock is definitely breeding over here. Sweet!

White-winged Dove

Better still, I also got shots of more babies. These Mourning Doves were mixed in with the White-wings.

Mourning Dove

Young doves have feathers that are much more scaly looking and smooth out as they grow older.

Mourning Dove

More species to add to the confirmed breeding section of the Bird Breeding Atlas!

No comments: