Friday, September 27, 2013

Searching the 'Neighborhood'.

A little bit of time on my hands this morning so where to begin? A stop by Lake Lancaster is always on the list and I was hoping for some remaining warblers in better light but didn't have much luck. Instead, I saw a Limpkin fly from across the lake to my side so I wandered in that direction as it headed to the lawns across the street from the water. Not a typical place for a Limpkin but who am I to judge?

Limpkin

Didn't feel like LaCosta Wetlands would be too productive so I stayed a bit closer and went to Demetree Park for a quick look. Only a few warblers in the oaks but I was pleased to see a good number of Swainson's Thrushes foraging in the shaded areas along the small boardwalk.

Swainson's Thrush

These thrushes were right on schedule, migration-wise and were busy grabbing some sort of berries about 50 yards out from my position.

Swainson's Thrush

Back to Lancaster for one more try. I could only get a very orange looking Prairie Warbler in focus for a brief moment. It was feeding at a crazy fast pace.

Prairie Warbler

I keep meaning to stop and walk Lake Davis to get a better look at our young Mute Swan but I kind of liked this view from the van as it floated behind a parent. Feathers are starting to turn white.

Mute Swan

Time's up. Back to business and coding. More migrants are on the way.

1 comment:

Robert Stalnaker said...

Look how brilliant the color on the throat is on the Prairie, almost approaching the color of the Blackburnian male. Nice group of birds.