Monday, September 09, 2013

Anhinga Stabs Breakfast

It began as the usual search for warblers but I would have to settle for only one bird this morning. While I was scanning the upper branches along the shoreline, an Anhinga popped up from the lake with breakfast in tow.

Anhinga

The bird soon spotted me spotting it and could not immediately figure on which way to go. Deeper into the lake or toward the shallows where the scary human is standing?

Anhinga

Hard to imagine that these Anhinga can eat these larger fish but they have little problem. As soon as they can figure out how to get them off their bills.

Anhinga

Right after I took this shot I tried to reposition myself to get a better angle as it prepared to swallow the fish. Wouldn't you know that would be the moment it flipped the fish in the air and gulped it down.

Anhinga

With a full belly the Anhinga climbed up to its usual drying spot to relax.

Anhinga

Life at the lake. Now, to find those warblers...

No comments: