Friday, September 20, 2013

Lots of Locals

Stopped by Mead Garden. Again. Still hoping for a lot of bird activity. I actually got! However, they were all local birds.

One of the rules to birding: Follow the sound of the Tufted Titmice. Many other birds tend to hang with them, probably for safety reasons. Titmice are good at spotting danger. One of the reliable species that is in those feeding flocks this time of year is the Blue-gray Gnatcatcher.

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Some folks I know don't like Blue-gray Gnatcatchers simply because they are not the warblers they seek. I think they are a lot of fun to watch and hear.

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

The Tufted Titmice I mentioned were here in the Southern Elderberry behind the pump house but it seems like they are taking a break. Time to preen.

Tufted Titmouse

I just missed the shot of a Ruby-throated Hummingbird that flew in for a quick moment. Up in the dead snag on the edge of the vegetation, a Red-bellied Woodpecker explored for food.

Red-bellied Woodpecker

I didn't find anything the the 'Waterthrush Zone' but I spotted a dove slipping quietly into the shrubs behind the bird feeders. Hmmmm. The wings didn't whistle like a Mourning Dove... I waited quietly and soon a White-winged Dove emerged to land on the feeder and size me up. Can't recall seeing them here before.

White-winged Dove

I will take a morning full of local birds rather than no birds at all.

No comments: