Friday, April 10, 2009

Solitary Sandpiper and Killdeer

Almost home near dark I noticed a new shape along the lake's edge. A quick stop rewarded me with a Solitary Sandpiper feeding in the swallow waters.

Solitary Sandpiper

Nearby, I heard the distinct calls of a Killdeer. Looking left I could see the pair scrambling about due to my presence and then I noticed that one bird hurried to...a nest! In the gloom I could make out she was about to sit on 4 eggs along the shore.

Killdeer

As I was preparing to leave, a female Boat-tailed Grackle was looking for snacks on the grasses. Momma Killdeer quickly made sure she stayed far enough away from her brood.

Killdeer

I will keep an eye on the nest area as many folks run their dogs through here from time to time and a casual stroller might not see the eggs and trample them. Not much I can really do since I can't monitor 24/7 but Nature has kept them around this long.

No comments: