Monday, April 13, 2009

Cedar Waxwing Feeding Frenzy

I had my head wrapped around the fact that I probably wouldn't get a good shot of the Waxwings this year. Especially, after I was so close on Easter Sunday. The lot next to my in-laws home contains a Loquat tree where I got some good shots last Easter. The birds flocked to the tree again just as the homeowner brought out her 3 dogs for a run.

Scared the birds right off. Like it is her house or something! The nerve. Figured that was my best chance. Oh, well.

Then, I had an early day at work. As I arrived in the parking lot Waxwings were all over the trees but flushing easily. I kept it front of mind as I headed into the office. Once released for the day I headed across the street to Lake Lily to see if the Limpkins were around. Didn't see them but a huge flock of Waxwings flew into a palm tree for a feeding frenzy.

Finally, my chance.

The birds were everywhere around the palms, gulping down all of the ripe fruit they could as quickly as possible. The light wasn't great as a front moved the clouds in but after 50 photos I managed a few I liked.

It was very difficult to keep up with the birds as they fed. Mostly they kept their backs to me or were shoved aside by other birds. Only a few times did I get a full side view.

Cedar Waxwing

This bird seemed to rest on it's wing tips in a rather emperor-like recline. "More fruit, servant!"

Cedar Waxwing

An awesome sight as the birds whipped in and out of the tree and gorged themselves.

Cedar Waxwing

The Waxwings won't be here too much longer. Heck they could be leaving tomorrow. But I got the shots I was hoping for and more.

No comments: