Friday, April 03, 2009

House Finch of a Different Color

Had to hang around the house as we had some construction going on. It was a cloudy day and I eventually had to wander out to the grocery store. As I neared the end of the driveway, I noticed a pair of bird on the wires and heard an interesting call. Wasn't sure of the species right away but I ran inside to grab the camera.

The more colorful bird seemed different to me, as did the song. With the poor light it was hard to determine the birds ID but the duller bird did seem like a House Finch. I know House Finch vocalizations but this was different.

Looking at the photos later, though, revealed that it was, indeed, a House Finch. But orange!

House Finch

Most are red, some yellow. Never had an orange one before. Cool.

House Finch

On the way to the store I saw our oddly plumed Mallard was finally close to shore for once. I have been wanting to get a shot for my records.

Mallad

Heading home, I swung through the cemetery to check up on the Bald Eagle nest. One adult was in the nest but no sign of chicks yet.

Bald Eagle

Just another day in the neighborhood.



No comments: