Friday, April 17, 2009

Killdeer Watch, Day 8

A new twist to the Killdeer watch.

As I was returning to the van after taking the pictures seen below a resident of the lakeside rushed out to ask what I was taking pictures of with me 'high-powered' camera. Perhaps I was casing houses for later robberies? Didn't he notice I never once pointed the camera toward ANY house? Ah, paranoia.

We got to talking and I pointed out the Killdeer nest just across from his residence. The female was still in place, incubating the 4 eggs.

Killdeer

As we talked, he revealed that they have seen a Red Fox coming in and out of the culvert not far from the nest area. I have never seen a fox in the area in all these year but I would be sure to investigate when I can while keeping an eye out for the Killdeer.

Also near the Killdeer nest was a Lesser Yellowlegs.

Lesser Yellowlegs

More Yellowlegs are also around.

Lesser Yellowlegs

Starting to appreciate their beauty the more I see them this year.

Lesser Yellowlegs

I have been trying to get a good family portrait of the Mallard hen with her ducklings and finally got one. I count 15. No raptors around so maybe most will make it.

Mallards

However, it could have been 16. As I was walking down to find the family I spotted this unfortunate duckling that didn't make it. For some reason I find this image compelling.

Mallards

Nearby, a pair of Fish Crows seemed to be courting. I have seen several crows carrying nesting material overheard for the past few days. This crow caught my eye because of the white patch on it's head.

Fish Crow

The Black-necked Stilts are still around and I am trying to get a good exposure.

Black-necked Stilt

The Spotted Sandpiper was found again but is very skittish today.

Spotted Sandpiper

It is always to find a sunning Anhinga around the lakes.

Anhinga

More discoveries await! A good April, so far.


No comments: