Friday, April 24, 2009

Rose-breasted Grosbeak of a Different Color

I walked through the kitchen and took a glance out through the back window, as I always do, and noticed a bird hopping down into the Cherry Laurel tree. It didn't appear to be the usual Catbirds that have been using this tree as a perch on their way to the next feeder or birdbath.

Size seemed a little different, though. Grabbed the spare bins and peered through them to find a Rose-breasted Grosbeak! Not one of the earlier males I had seen before but a female.

I spent the next 90 minutes trying to get a better look and hopefully a photo but, man, this was one skittish bird. It was moving from back to side to front at different points but every time I so much as cracked a door open it would bolt.

Perseverance paid off, in the long run. The bird finally settled into a spot below the kitchen window where I had the screen open and had the camera in hand.

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

She spent a few minutes feeding under the feeders, this time not seeming to notice me as I leaned closer toward the windowsill.

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

I love the striking facial pattern and the glowing spots on the wings.

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Thanks for stopping by, little lady!

No comments: