Monday, October 08, 2012

Something is Veery Interesting

A great day was had at the banding site. We captured a lot of birds and even one we never had banded before. You can check out that report here.

On the way home, I decided to run through Mead Garden again. The usuals were there but it was fairly quiet. On the way back to the van I noticed some folks I know sitting on the ground taking photos. I couldn't see what they were shooting at yet so I took the next best shot.

Photographers

Just what were they so focused on? A young Veery, judging by the tanned edges of the feathers.

Veery

This bird was very tame. It allowed my friends to scoot in really close and they took photos for along while as it picked at berries from the ground before heading back into the shade of the Beauty Berry bush. Must have had a long flight last night or it is not feeling that well. Most thrushes bolt when approached.

That was all the energy I had after a long banding session so I headed out. Of course, I swung around the local lakes on the way home. Waiting for me at Lake Emerald was another nice Wood Duck on the Cypress limbs.

Wood Duck

Time for a shower. Nice enough shots for a 15 minute stop.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This bird was very tame. It allowed my friends to scoot in really close and they took photos for along while as it picked at berries...flowering shrubs