Monday, October 22, 2012

Eastern Wood-Pewee

The last post dealt with the Star-of-the-Day, the female Rufus Hummingbird. There were other things out there that I found before I got to the Rufus. One of the first things I found as I got out of the van were several Western Palm Warblers. I made my way over to the Camilla garden and discovered a pair of Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers. They would not give me a profile view but they were 2 of 3 I had today and the first of the season.

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Work is progressing on the amphitheater next to the butterfly garden.

Amphitheater

On the opposite side of the amphitheater there is a Mulberry tree we check for migrating birds. There were a few Eastern Phoebes calling there and then an Eastern Wood Pewee flew in view.

Eastern Wood Pewee

That bird was soon chased by another Pewee which took the first bird's place. I got some shots but didn't really think too hard about it until I got home. Looking at the photos on the computer I could see that this second bird was actually a juvenile Pewee.

Eastern Wood Pewee

You can tell mostly by the yellow gape flesh at the base of the bill. Nice.

Now, time to head over to that hummingbird.

No comments: