Thursday, October 04, 2012

A Different Bald Eagle

Just another run through the cemetery to check on the Bald Eagle. I was actually surprised to see an eagle at the nest. Usually at this time of year they stay off to the side in the pines where I took the photo the other day. When I got home at looked at the photos I had a bit of a surprise.

It is not one of the adult eagles. It is a 3rd-year bird! Notice the coloration of the head feathers. Bald Eagles do not get their full white heads until the 4th year.

Bald Eagle

I do recall one of the fledged birds hanging with the parents an extra long time a couple years ago. Wonder if this one continues to follow the parents around all year or if this some new bird checking out the area. I prefer to think the former.

Over at one of the retention ponds, a long Blue-winged Teal was resting along the waterside.

Blue-winged Teal

I have counted from 1 to 33 teal at a time over the days. Strange how they move around. Soon, this pond and a few others will host dozens of teal and Ring-necked Ducks for the Winter.

No comments: