Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Yellow, Anyone?

Finally! Some birds out in the open!!

As I rounded the curve at Lake Lancaster around 5 PM I could tell it was going to be fun. Every few seconds little bursts of yellow emerged from the oak branches, hovered in the air for a moment and returned to cover. A nice flock of warblers was feeding big time. Might be my best chance to get a descent shot of a Yellow Warbler.

I could see them pretty much perching in the open as I exited the van.

Yellow Warbler

Yellow Warblers were definitely at the top of my list for trying to get a good photo but I was also distracted by the equally large numbers of Prairie Warblers. How can I pass them up?

Prairie Warbler

The birds zipped in and out of the oaks and sometime moved down to different sets of trees. I had to walk back and forth along the street but the birds were more interested in grabbing bugs than worrying about me. Which was good because I started getting the best shots of these warblers for me...ever.

Yellow Warbler

So much yellow. At times I had to force myself to chase a singular bird so I wouldn't loose a potentially good shot.

Prairie Warbler

Besides the oaks, the birds were taking turns jumping over to the magnolias across the street. They swooped over my head and went to work on the leaves once there.

Yellow Warbler

Soon, I noticed one other species lurking in the lakeside of the trees which had its own patch of yellow. A Yellow-throated Warbler.

Yellow-throated Warbler

The only other thing I wish I could add here would be the sharp calls and the snapping sound of bills the birds made as they fed all around me.

Prairie Warbler

Even if I never get this opportunity again with Yellow Warblers I can just sit back and stare at this photo and everything will be right with the world...

Yellow Warbler

No comments: