Monday, September 24, 2012

Work Walk

Needed a walk during lunch. Headed back around to the wooded area across the street. It was pretty productive during the Spring. Now to see if I can find anything during the Fall.

I could hear Cardinals but not much else. Suddenly a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher fluttered by and after a bug. It caught it right in front of me so I tried to get a shot. It flew off too quickly. I walked around a tree to see if it was hiding on the other side. Instead, I found Blackburnian Warbler feeding way up above me.

Blackburnian Warbler

Heading deeper into the woods I spotted a Northern Parula feeding in a Chinese Tallow tree. It stayed in the dark shade so I looked around for some other subject. Surprisingly, I didn't have to wait long. Thrushes began to fly in right past me and gathered in another nearby tree. Most were Veery but a couple of Swainson's Thrush joined in. We have started to catch these species at the banding site so they are migrating through in good numbers.

Veery

That was it for the rest of the walk. Kind of disappointing but those 3 species were new for my in these woods. I finished out my shift and swung by the pond up the road to see if the American Coot was still here. Yep. Stayed year round. Also in the pond was a critter I hadn't seen in months.

American Alligator

At least it still hasn't eaten any of the regular birds!

No comments: