Thursday, September 13, 2012

Solitary Sandpiper. Really?

Time to count the birds. Again. "Don't you ever get tired of it?" Not really. Over a the church pond I was greeted by a Little Blue Heron in the parking lot. I different angle for once.

Little Blue Heron

I tallied the usual suspects and was about to leave as the sun was setting and I needed to head home. Then something caught my eye hiding behind a tiny branch. A Solitary Sandpiper!

Solitary Sandpiper

I can't recall ever seeing this species on their way south. They usually stay on the coast going down Florida. I do expect Solitary's in the Spring on the way home when they stop by our local lakes.

Solitary Sandpiper

We have had a lot of rain and the lakes are full so there is not a lot of shoreline of flat areas that sandpipers like. Good for the arriving ducks. Just wasn't expecting this fella.

Solitary Sandpiper

I will check to see if it is still around in the morning but I bet it heads out overnight. Nice that it gave me a little bit of its time this evening.

No comments: