Monday, July 02, 2012

Swallow-tailed Kite Review

I posted a couple shots of a Swallow-tail Kite with a prey item under my Carolina Wren Rescue post but decided to go back through the shots again to see what I could see again. The cloudy conditions and fast moving bird made for some very underexposed shots but I tweaked some shots to get a better look at the sequence.

Here are those shots I kinda rescued from the dark.

So, we begin our tale with my first sighting of the Kite. It was far over the buildings when I first spotted it but I could tell it was carrying something in its talons. By the way things were trailing behind, I thought it was a rat. Once I saw the images I could tell it was a small bird.

Swallow-tailed Kite

It was feeding on the wing,even tearing the chick apart as it sailed closer to my office space. I decided to head outside to try for some better views out in the open.

Swallow-tailed Kite

At one point, it actually dropped the bird as I was trying for shots. I glanced over the camera and saw it swoop down to grab it again. Once I refocused it was headed in my direction.

Swallow-tailed Kite

Closer still and still pulling feathers and flesh during the glide.

Swallow-tailed Kite

I almost thought there might be two chicks in tow but I guess it was only one.

Swallow-tailed Kite

The Kite even gave out a screech as it sailed by and then continued to munch away.

Swallow-tailed Kite

Almost at the closest approach.

Swallow-tailed Kite

I could never tell what species of chick was dinner that day. It was a pretty interesting few minutes, though.

Swallow-tailed Kite

Then it was gone over the rooftops. Wish It could have been in clear skies. But we really need the rain.

No comments: