Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Backyard Birding

I have been missing the BirdCam since it was beat up a bunch in the Spring. I blame the owls. It kept being knocked over so I just gave up. I decided to be the cam myself. Birds were feeding in numbers so I sat on the back steps and waited.

The Gray Squirrel leaning back against the tree trunk just snacked on a peanut and ignored me.

Gray Squirrel

I was mainly trying to get shots of the Red-bellied Woodpeckers that have been busy feeding hungry youngsters. So much so that they are hitting every feeder at will and even chasing off the doves to get what they want.

Red-bellied Woodpecker

It is often difficult to see the 'red-belly' unless they are hanging with that belly exposed. Both the male and the female seem to focus on peanuts or the fruit bits that only Gray Catbirds seem to also enjoy. Of course, the Catbirds have been gone for months.

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Blue Jays also are busy with their kids. But the young Jays are big enough now to feed themselves.

Blue Jay

The entire family swarms around the feeders once I get shelled peanuts placed out there. Otherwise, they will grab a few sunflower seeds or forage elsewhere.

Blue Jay

They will also pick out the shelled nuts from the tray feeder or pry them from the peanut cage-like feeder.

Blue Jay

At the back of the yard, one of the many juvenile Cardinals take a sip from the bird bath. We currently have a 2nd Cardinal brood in the yard which fly around with their earlier fledged siblings.

Northern Cardinal

The next day I peered out the backdoor window to see a White-winged Dove waiting to sneak in for a bite.

White-winged Dove

Just a normal Summer day around the feeders.

No comments: