Thursday, July 05, 2012

Breakfast for an Anhinga

Another late-ish start for a Barred Owl hunt but what's a boy to do? I headed around the Greenwood Wetlands to search, again, for herons and owls. Along the way to the eastern edge of the wetlands I got distracted by a bird off to my left. A female Anhinga had caught herself a fish.

So, this becomes the second in our series of birds eating things at the wetlands!

Lighting wasn't great and the bird was a bit far away but I decide to see what would happen. A lot of times Anhinga will bolt when you stop near them but this was was nice and hungry and I was just far enough away. Here, it holds its prey and decides what to do next.

Anhinga

I just missed the toss as I found my footing. The bird was getting the fish into a better head-down position for easier swallowing. Wish I could have the whole fish in view.

Anhinga

Just about into position. Just needs a little more shifting.

Anhinga

Al...most...there...

Anhinga

A quick flip to the left...

Anhinga

Ahhhhhhhhhhh....

Anhinga

Gulp! Wasn't that refreshing? I was even thinking of making an animation but I am fresh out of time these days.

Anhinga

This morning I only had a few more minutes to find other birds. I headed down by the water, searched the cypress trees, searched the oaks, no luck. I said to myself, "Well, not today." and turned back to the sidewalk.

As I reached the top of the rise, an owl flew right past me and into the cypress branches. Looks like Papa was heading back to roost. Finally found one again!

Barred Owl

On the way back to the van I saw the Anhinga, currently sated and resting on the cypress knees.

Anhinga

I try for an artsy shot before heading out.

Anhinga

Will I be back after I have found the owl? Why...of course! Still have to talk to baby again at some point.

No comments: