Saturday, July 14, 2012

Breakfast for a Red-shouldered Hawk

I had some checking up to do at the banding site but on the way home I stopped by the local church to see if anything was in the big pond. Before I could get to the pond, a Red-shouldered Hawk flew up and onto the fence around the smaller pond by the parking lot.

Red-shouldered Hawk

It didn't seem to mind my presence as I walked a little closer. It was more interested in something in the grass. It hopped down and plucked a juicy little caterpillar and had a breakfast snack.

Red-shouldered Hawk

Soon after swallowing the critter, it flew off to the trees but quickly flew back into the shade on the fence. It still didn't care about me as it looked around for more prey.

Red-shouldered Hawk

Not much else in the pond. The Pied-billed Grebe is still way out there and calling but the heat is on. A nice treat before housework.

No comments: