Thursday, April 29, 2010

Big Migration Push!

My neck hurts...

Here we are, at the end of April, and birds have been sparse. Until this morning! Birds everywhere. I was planning on getting more things done but that would prove difficult as every step outdoors lead to a new discovery. Bird sound was all around the house beginning at dawn when I filled the feeders and small birds were cruising from limb to limb.

It was almost hard to ID certain birds as they moved so quickly but I jotted down all of the locals and then thought of getting to the others soon. Then, my wife reported a bird she saw as she stepped out back for a minute that was very 'cute' and tried to describe it. I couldn't track it back down but then soon discovered 2 female Black-throated Blues by the back fence. Had to be them.

I later went out and photographed a male overhead.

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Unfortunately, most birds were only seen for underneath as they fed high in the oaks. There were Worm-eating Warblers (that don't eat worms, BTW), Red-eyed Vireos, Palm Warblers, and very many others I was chasing from yard to yard.

Eventually, I did get some shots of the Blackpoll Warblers moving about like this male.

Blackpoll Warbler

Then I got a shot of its launch into space searching for more food.

Blackpoll Warbler

And what is that creeping along the branches? Why, a Black and White Warbler, of course. They are easily ID'd by this feeding behavior.

Black and White Warbler

Back at the kitchen feeder, the web cam caught some other birds feeding down low. Like our bright male red variant House Finch.

House Finch

Sneaking in through the shadows was one of the gregarious Titmice who only paused for a quick bite and then bolted for the trees.

Tufted Titmouse

Then the female House Finches showed up.

House Finch

Though fairly drab, as female birds typically are, they are very nicely plumed.

House Finch

Later in the day, I paused from some yard work and settled into a chair out back and began scanning the trees again. Against the blue sly and green oaks I saw a sudden flash of red. Huh? Other than Cardinals, we do not have red birds in the yard. I had a hunch but had to get a shot to be sure, the bird being so far up in the canopy.

I rushed into the house and shouted what I thought it was and it turned out to be true. A Scarlet Tanager!

Scarlet Tanager

A first for our yard records! Scarlet Tanagers are unmistakable with their bright red forms and black wings. I have only seen them at Fort DeSoto and Mead Garden. This was a real thrill.

Scarlet Tanager

Down at ground level, I paused to get a shot of the Walking Iris that are blooming like mad in the shade. They are blooming every other day in great profusion.

Walking Iris

Over at nearby Lake Lancaster, breeding plumed White Ibis roam the lake's edge.

White Ibis

Up in the oaks lining the lake, Blackpoll Warblers and Palm Warblers cruise for snacks. Birds everywhere!

Western Palm Warbler

I won't post a full list but the remaining bird I didn't get a shot of was a Hermit Thrush which showed up in the yard just before sundown.

Whew! What a day!! I have never seen so many different species of birds moving North in our yard ever. It was a very interesting day but a sad reminder that all of these beautiful birds will soon be gone for many, many months to start a new cycle again. Now we have to settle into the approaching Summer and just our local birds.

Though I love them just as much.

4 comments:

warriormom said...

Wow! I'm exhausted just reading. It's neat to see who I have to look forward to. Cat birds arrived this past weekend as well as an Indigo Bunting - although that was not in my yard but nearby. The warblers are easier to hear, not as easy to see.

J. Andrew Boyle said...

Yeah, I try to keep the posts short but this was a big day!

Warblers get so hard to see by now when all of the leaves pop out. All I have left are a few Redstarts.

anushka said...

Nice photos,can you post some videos?

J. Andrew Boyle said...

No videos. I am usually just chasing with two cameras and binoculars. One more device and I might just fall over!