Friday, April 02, 2010

Cinnamon Teal

We had to head over to the coast to visit the parents before Easter and the night before we left there was a report of a rare bird in a newly opened park in Largo, FL. Eagle Lake Park used to be private property but the county purchased the land and converted it to a very nice park.

The report was that a Cinnamon Teal was sighted just inside the park entrance so my wife and I swung in as it is near the parent's house. No teal. Barely any birds at all in fact. Dang.

Next morning I figured that since it was so close I would run over at dawn to check again. There were already a few photographers around the small pond so I guessed I was in the right place at the right time. Success!

Cinnamon Teal

The Cinnamon was hanging out with several Blue-winged Teal as reported earlier. A gorgeous bird in the early morning light.

Cinnamon Teal

The views were brief, however, as something got the birds all stirred up for no apparent reason and they all bolted, one after another, and headed over us toward the East.

Cinnamon Teal

The bird has not been reported again since. Glad I decided to loose a little sleep to get a new Lifer.

6 comments:

Steve said...

That last picture is super cool!!

J. Andrew Boyle said...

Thanks, Steve.

Getting caught up on my birds. Still have several posts to add!

warriormom said...

I agree, I love the ducks in flight shot!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I only saw 1 cinnamon teal before and that was about 20 or more years ago in Titusville, Florida. It was hanging around with blue-wing teals like a visiting relative.
trishka, Brevard County, Florida.

J. Andrew Boyle said...

This was a surprise. I was always hearing of sightings at Viera Wetlands but never saw the posted birds. Mostly they were reports of females and, not having a scope or proper reference on ID, I never found one.

Very fortunate to get this one.

trishka said...

I've photographed birds at Viera Wetlands tons of times! Great place! Especially sunrise and sunset. I might post some on my blog someday.

Also, I've heard that the Titusville Wildlife Refuge is the best birding spot in winter east of the Mississippi. But that was many years ago.