Monday, April 19, 2010

Oddly Plumed House Finch?

No, not this one. This is one of our bright red males. There are several that vie for space at the feeders. It was nearing dark and we had a light rain but those colors still stand out even in low light. All of the below images were taken through the kitchen window.

House Finch

Soon after that sighting I noticed another bird fly in. The colors didn't seem to match a House Finch out of the corner of my eye so I ran for the camera, again, and started snapping away.

All of the House Finches I have ever seen have been uniformly colored down their backs. This one has very dark primaries and it continues down the tail.

House Finch

Even with the flash lighting up the bird, you can see the darker lower half.

House Finch

A male joined our new bird and it is a good comparison shot for how I think a finch 'should' look.

House Finch

Pretty odd to me. Still a cute little visitor.

House Finch

A Cardinal interrupted the photo session and gave me a, "I think you are down here, my friend..." and with the rain picking up, I complied.

House Finch

If you have ever seen a similarly colored House Finch, please let me know!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog.

Kathleensdiary.com

Anonymous said...

You know a heck of a lot more than I do about this kind of thing, but to me, he looks like a juvenile of some sort.

We have seen some unexpected cross-breeding of White-Fronted goose with Canada goose (+sometimes what I guess must have been domestic goose) out here. Can something like that go on with finches?

Anonymous said...

These are all nice finch photos. I have a set or group here and some of them have the finch eye disease.

Really nice shots in this post. I also admired some of your earlier posts.

I live in Brookville, Ohio and am an old man at 75 and have been married to the same lady for 55 years. Got 5 adult children, and three are past 50.

I began taking photos in 1953 when I was in the service stationed in Japan. I have been at it ever since.

My problem with digital images is that I can take 100 to 500 in one sitting trying to get that perfect image of a bird doing something nobody else has ever seen before. I think I got at least one.

This one shows a young grackle being fed and the youngster is showing his teeth.

Go to My Birds Blog to see it.

http://mybirdsblog.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the visit.

J. Andrew Boyle said...

Thanks, all.

From the info I am getting it appears that this bird may be experiencing a sort of melanism that causes part of the feathers to become darker than the rest.

I have not seen this particular bird again since but will keep my eyes open for another view.

Steve said...

I always learn something from your blogs. Thanks.....