Wednesday, April 14, 2010

White-winged Dove is Back

Seems to be another yearly occurrence.

I remember the first year I spotted a White-winged Dove on the back porch. It was a shock and pleasant surprise. I had first seen one in Winter Park up in a tree but once one lit upon our back deck, well, that was a whole different matter.

Since then we have a sighting at least once a year. I keep trying to recall exactly if they all are the same time of year (yes, I should check all of my records but I am tired) but it seems to be the case. Still, it surprises me to look out back and see those big white-rimmed shoulders pushing out the Mourning Doves from the tray feeders.

Only managed a few blurry shots but they confirm my sightings.

White-winged Dove

Always seems to be one at a time each year. Odd.

Later, the doves moved to the kitchen feeder and commanded that space. Below in the ground cover a Gray Catbird seems to shout, "Stop hogging the seed, dude!"

Gray Catbird

Then a little later the decks were clear for the House Finches to move in before dark. I really like when the yellow and orange variants stop by.

House Finch

I thought the BirdCam would keep me from looking out the window so much. Turns out I can't resist seeing the birds first hand.

No comments: