Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Catching Up with Random Birds

Starting to realize that some of my photos are piling up without getting posted. Usually just a shot or two and then I get a group that feels like it needs posting first. So, before I get too behind, I thought I would just offer up a mix from the past two weeks.

I took a trip out to Demetree Park one Saturday but did not find a lot of birds that morning. I did see a few Pied-billed Grebes and I managed to sneak up close to shore while one was diving and got a couple close pictures.

Pied-billed Grebe

The thing I like most about this bird is it appears to be a juvenile based on the bill colors. When they are born Pied-billed Grebes have mottled bills that turn gray and blue-gray as they age.

Pied-billed Grebe

My first American Goldfinch shot of the year was taken at Mead Garden after our banding day the following day.

American Goldfinch

Back at work the next week, I took a lunch walk and found this Northern Mockingbird guarding its tree in the small stand of woods across the street.

Northern Mockingbird

Still waiting for a sighting of both Bald Eagles. I keep worrying that the other bird had not arrived at all but I got a report that someone got a shot of them mating so he is here somewhere. Whew.

Bald Eagle

Back at Mead a week later and I caught a brief glimpse of the Rufus Hummingbird still hanging out. If we can keep these nice temperatures then perhaps it will stay all through the Winter.

Rufus Hummingbird

American Goldfinch numbers are increasing sine they put feeders in the butterfly gardens. They are a joy to hear but this one seemed to give me a foul stare in the shade.

American Goldfinch

The Goldfinches are feeling rather at ease around the people wandering through. They are on the feeders and all over the weedy edges below.

American Goldfinch

They all seem nicely crisp. There are a lot of females and few brighter males coming and going.

American Goldfinch

I waited for a while to get this shot. Wanted a nice profile away from the feeders. Moments later and the bird was off to feed.

American Goldfinch

Now I just need the flocks to hit my yard. I have plenty of food waiting!

No comments: