Sunday, December 02, 2012

Barber Park Gulls and Grackles

Time for another trip to Barber Park. Maybe there will be some interesting ducks by now. Not a lot of time to check the entire park but can definitely get to the front pond. The ducks there are still the same old resident Mallards and Muscovy but there are now more Ring-billed Gulls than the time I stopped by and the light was a little better as the Sun was beginning to set.

Ring-billed Gull

Most of the Ring-billed Gulls were along the shore and didn't mind people as they walked the sidewalk by them. Though they do keep a sideways watch on us.

Ring-billed Gull

I don't always try for too many flight shots but when the gulls are in a small area like this, with a strong enough breeze, they make pretty easy targets.

Ring-billed Gull

I did find a few Ring-necked Ducks in another pond but only a few. As I was about to get back in the van, a flock of male Boat-tailed Grackles flew in and began posing and calling.

Boat-tailed Grackle

Imagine my surprise when these displays began to transform the birds into the undead! I have witnessed eagles and hawk make this change but not blackbirds.

Boat-tailed Grackle

Soon, a female Boat-tailed Grackle landed in the same tree. A good looking bird but I was worried for her safety. Did she not see the zombie bird nearby?

Boat-tailed Grackle

Ah, I see. She was already in the middle of her transformation!

Boat-tailed Grackle

Not wanting to be overtaken by this growing group of monsters, I got back to the van and found my escape. Perhaps I should alert the media...

No comments: