Saturday, February 25, 2012

Greenwood Wetlands

A large flock of Ring-necked ducks have been hanging out at the small retention pond on the North end of the Greenwood Wetlands. They usually stay in Lake Davis and Cherokee but this year a fraction of the huge flock has moved over here for a while. I notice them from the road and usually can't swing back for any good light but today it looked like a chance to get a couple shots on the way home.

I parked in the lot and prepared to go straight down to the pond but I was interrupted by a flock of Cedar Waxwings swarming the trees before the bridge. Of course, I had to try and get a shot. They were deep in the branches which were now leafing out fast in this warm weather but I did get a shot of one nearby.

Cedar Waxwing

I circled a couple of other trees to get any shots sans branches. Finally I snapped one feeding on berries I wasn't really aware of at the time. Once I saw the shot on the computer I could easily see that they were feeding on mistletoe berries.

Cedar Waxwing

Then onto my task. The ducks were nice and close to the shore today so time to get a workout with the new lens. The nice day provided a super clear view of a pair with the female striking a nice pose.

Ring-necked Duck

Next, a great shot of a male and you can even make out the namesake ring around the neck on this drake.

Ring-necked Duck

Already some of my best shots of this species. Might gets some more shots later but they will begin to head home in the next few weeks so at least I got a quick visit in while they are here.

No comments: